Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Netflix Alternatives
















Many of you are wondering what happened to the Netflix Pix I used to post. I no longer post a list of Instant Watch recommendations every Friday for "two distinct" reasons. Those of you who have received the email that I received from Netflix understand why there are quotation marks around my words.

The main reason I stopped posting Netflix Pix was that the selection was growing too dismal to recommend anything of substance. I found that most of what I was watching was either on DVD or on one of the premium channels on UVerse cable. This leads me to reason number two.

Today I received this email from Netflix:

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $14.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 2 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $11.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $19.98 a month ($7.99 + $11.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

–The Netflix Team

At this point, it's cheaper to choose a Starz package or HBO, Showtime or Cinemax. The advantage that Netflix had was that no matter what I watched on Netflix, for $15 a month I only watched what I wanted to watch. With premium channels, someone decides what to watch for me. Even the On Demand options are left up to the network. Now the thing fueling my decision is money and not the quality of the entertainment.

So what can I do instead of paying too much for Netflix and it's terrible streaming only options? Do I really have to pay for premium channels? It's only a matter of time before the pricing for the premium channels go up. That's bound to happen before Netflix prices go down.

The options are:

Cut television. Start going to the movies more so that you don't miss out on so many new releases.

Buy more dvds.

Go to Redbox and pay all of those bank fees for those "missing" dvds you know good and well you returned.

Blockbuster, dear God no.

Reduce your Netflix package.


I'm going with the last option for awhile. My current plan is $14.99. If I only take out 1 dvd at a time and have unlimited streaming, I only pay a dollar more. Yes I am getting less for the money but the alternatives are not quite appealing yet. Eventually, Netflix will either charge too much and I will run to the premium channels or they will lower their price and I can increase my plan.

Let's all hope Netflix pulls it together or another company capitalizes on this opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. If you actually look at the new prices for Blockbuster you would actually see that they have some great prices now. With Netflix raising their prices; Blockbuster will actually be cheaper. You can get more with Blockbuster too. You can get Blu-ray DVDs, games, and new releases 28 days before Netflix. With my provider/employer DISH Network you can get Blockbuster free for 3 months. Check out this link for the details http://bit.ly/iH7nwg . I think Blockbuster is going to come back.

    ReplyDelete