Friday, July 15, 2011

Sunbeam Convertible Steam Iron Review


My old iron no longer has the brand name printed on it. I couldn't begin to tell you what kind it is. But I know it came with a matching fish shaped ironing board 10 years ago. It would frequently tip over when you rested it on its end. Eventually the little spout that allows the steam to escape chipped off. So much for the steaming feature. The other thing I noticed is that my iron was beginning to leave stains on my clothing. That coupled with the fact that I had to jiggle the cord to make it work sometimes or that I would forget to turn it off and find it scorching 3 hours later led to my decision to buy a new iron.

I was watching television and I saw a designer styled commercial about a new iron. The background was black and there was steam all around. So much steam. I am a sewing addict and always need my iron nearby to press seams etc. Then there are times when I really need a hand held steamer for those fabrics that can't be ironed. This iron seemed perfect. It irons and converts to a steamer. It looked really expensive so I ignored it for awhile. Finally I stumbled into a different Target location than I normally visit and there it was, the Sunbeam Convertible Steam Iron. It was $49.99 and it wasn't on sale. I grabbed it and went straight home to my pile of laundry to try it out.

The first thing that I noticed was that the water reservoir was transparent. So there were no surprises when the time came to fill it up. The second thing I noticed was that there was a cooling plate to the rest the iron on. This was a bonus for me since the act of balancing my old iron on its end is what caused it to fall and break. When the iron is on the pad the auto shut off is activated. If I leave it and forget to turn it off, the auto shut off takes care of it for me, yet another plus. The iron should be called a presser. It didn't iron my clothes when on the dry setting. It actually pressed my clothes with the same quality of the presser at the dry cleaners. My children are always complimented for being well dressed, something I attribute to the neatness of their matching outfits. Now those same outfits looks freshly pressed.

Next I tried the steamer. This is where the iron lived up to the commercial. The amount of steam was almost frightening for me. But I was done with my garment in half the time. The iron slid smoothly over the decals on my son's graphic tees without melting or smearing them.

So, even though I'm not being paid to do so, I highly recommend the Sunbeam Convertible Steam Iron. It makes ironing so easy and makes your clothes look so nice you'll look for things to iron just to have an excuse to iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment