Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Athlete's Foot Spray Review

All summer long I managed to avoid contracting athlete's foot. Unfortunately, the fan in my windowless bathroom stopped working. So each time I stepped out of the shower into my warm, misty bathroom onto my bath rug, I was creating the recipe for disaster. The bathroom rugs stayed wet. Bacteria multiplied faster than a woman without birth control. The next thing you knew I had athlete's foot. It was brutal, the constant itching, the cracking, the peeling, the bumps, the pain I inflicted trying out disgusting home remedies, including peeing on my foot.

The reason for all of this experimentation was Lotrimin. Lotrimin is an athlete's foot
spray that I purchased for $5.34. When I sprayed it on my foot, it did not instantly stop the itch on contact as proclaimed on the can. The spray left a powdery residue on my feet that got everywhere. I found that I had to reapply several times a day rather than twice a day as directed. I went through the small can within a week and my symptoms had worsened.

I moved on to "boom! tough actin' Tinactin." That did show me much better results. It
stopped the multiplication of the little fluid filled bumps and it didn't leave as powdery of a residue. The itch stopped within seconds of spraying it on. I only had to apply it 3 times a day to get these results. The cost of this spray was $4.32. I ran out of that can within 2 weeks.

Now that my infection was raging, I was desperate. I tried urinating on my foot. That made it worse and left me scrubbing my shower feverishly because I felt so dirty. I was reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine told George not to pee in the shower because of the plumbing. "You're gonna mix them up!" I moved on to the Lysol spray on the foot. Dear God, that burned like turpentine. However, there was no more oozing from the raw and exposed skin. Then I tried soaking my feet in vinegar. It dried up all of the bumps and the exposed skin. I thought I was cured! I wasn't. 2 weeks later the bumps were back.

I went back to Target and bought the store brand. I was going to be damned if I would pay another $5 for another spray that didn't work. I bought the generic Target brand for only $3.98. It was so generic it only had a white label like 1980's welfare food. The noticeable difference was that the spray didn't leave a powder. The medicine didn't rub off everywhere either. It seemed to absorb right away. The itch stopped on contact. I applied it twice a day as instructed. It seemed to stop the athlete's foot in it's tracks. I Googled around on the internet and found that I should rupture the bumps to banish the fungal liquid. So I held an embroidery needle over a flame and wiped it with alcohol. I don't know what I was whincing for, I couldn't feel a thing. I immediately blotted up the liquid with a Kleenex and sprayed my foot again. Three days later my athlete's foot was gone. I cured the flaky skin with a few applications of Eucerin, which is intended for people with eczema.

As advised, I prevented the return of the God-awful condition by making my own shower concoction spray made of alcohol (dries the shower faster), vinegar (kills fungus), and water. I also got a pair of Steve Madden, terry cloth flip flops to step onto out of the shower as opposed to stepping onto my rugs. Every night before bed, I spray the bathroom rugs with Lysol Disinfectant to prevent the excess growth of bacteria between laundry day. I was told to disinfect my shoes but the infection came from my bathroom so there was no problem to fix there. So glad to be able to were my sandals again.

I do wonder though, how bad is jock itch? All three cans also treat jock itch.

No comments:

Post a Comment