You typically see these on television, in a department store, or at an expensive furniture store. Wherever you see them, you might find them the classy and simplistic accessory needed for your home or office during Christmas.
You Will NeedScissors
Needle and thread
Cotton yarn, 8 yards for each snowball
Vaseline (baby oil or oil sheen spray will work)
- Blow up the balloons just enough to make them into a round ball shape. If you put too much air into them the snowball will look like a balloon. If you have a shaped balloon like Mickey ears or a heart then you will have the same shaped snowball.
- Rub a thin layer of Vaseline on the balloon.
- Soak yarn in a water and glue mixture. Three parts glue to one part water. Soak enough for one ball at a time in case you want to adjust the amount of yarn.
- After you have the balloon covered with yarn, run some thread through the tied off portion and hang it on a clothes hanger to dry. It can take up to 12 hours so do them all in one night.
- Once the snowball is dry, pop the balloon and carefully pull it out. Thread a piece of the yarn through the ball to hold onto it. Go outside and spray the snowball with acrylic or adhesive. Roll the ball in glitter. Apply as much as you want. Shake off the excess before bringing it inside.
- If you are making them as ornaments make them smaller. If you are hanging them from the light fixtures use coordinating ribbon. If you are making a centerpiece place them in a large decorative bowl. You can cut corners by using glittery yarn.